Different culture and countries have their own way of following the baby bath methods.
But the main objective for this is to clean the skin on the baby , to prevent infection and stimulate circulation .
Different kinds of bath
Bathing the baby while keeping him in your lap . the mother sits on the stool while keeping the baby in her lap and can sponge bath the baby and get him dressed .
Using sponge to bath the baby instead of pouring water on his skin . this way you can clean the skin of the baby while on bed and can prevent him from catching cold if there is tendency of that .
This is a common method to clean the baby .in this the baby is giving bath in the tub . the infant himself will enjoy this method as it can be playful for them .
Things to keep in mind
- Use warm room and warm water
- Bath quickly and gently
- Dry quickly and gently
- Never leave the baby unattended in the tub or table
- The infant can be given bath after 7th-10th day depending on if his umbilical chord has healed
- Idea time for bathing the baby Is before his second feeding
- Baby should not be bathed within an hour he is fed because moving may cause vomiting
- There should be a fixed time for bath so that the baby can for a habit
- The soap used should be very mild and avoid using talcum powders as it can irritate the baby’s respiratory tract .
Steps to bath a baby
- Pour water in the tub and check the temperature with your elbow .
- Undress and baby on a table kept against a wall so there is less chances of the baby to roll off
- Place the head of the baby on your left palm (if you have right hand dominant) so u can give bath with your right hand and support his body with the forearm . this will safeguard the baby from slipping .
- Close the ears with thumb and middle finger of your left palm while holding the head to ensure the blockage of any water inside the ears
- Wipe the eyes from cotton swab in a motion from the nose towards the ears
- Dip the hands in water and wipe the face of the infant making sure there is no water going inside his mouth .
- Wet the hair and gently apply soap or shampoo . rinse with water and immediately dry hair with towel .
- Place the baby into the tub to wash his body while supporting his shoulder , neck and head with left hand
- To clean the back ,transfer the baby to the other hand in such a way that the head and neck are supported over the palm.
- Apply soaps gently in the folds of the skin to prevent skin irritation
- Place the baby on the towel and gently dry him by dabbing the towel on his skin
- Dress the baby and cover him in a blanket or a towel to prevent him from catching cold .